Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A note from Annie

We have had a small setback with Braden this week. He has developed what they think is the same infection as last time. He had an IV in his left foot and when they removed it last week the foot was red and swollen. They started antibiotics on Sunday and they will need to wait on blood culture results to see if it's working. Hopefully they have caught this infection before it gets too bad. Also, they have temporarily stopped feeding him through the tube. His tummy was just getting a little too full. As you know, his doctors detected a blood clot in his head in a sonogram. We are praying that the clot has been reabsorbed by the body. Braden has another head scan on Wednesday and we hope that this will show some improvement on that battle. Other than that, he's doing fine. He has good color and when he's awake his eyes are wide open. We pray for a good head scan tomorrow and a quick recovery from this infection.

Braden had his first visit from his Uncle Leroy (my brother) last night. Originally, we could only allow 8 people -including Steve and me- to go in and see Braden. But now that RSV season is over, Braden can have other visitors as long as they are with Steve or myself. Visitation hours for these visitors are every day from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. and from 8:00 - 10:00 p.m. Since his birth, Braden has had at least 1 visitor every single day. Most days, he has 2 or 3 family visitors! It will be nice for him to have even more loving visits.

Yesterday on my drive back home from the hospital, I realized that I am never outside anymore. I am either at home, at work, or at the hospital. It made me sad to think that I'm not enjoying this nice weather we've had. So last night Steve and I ate dinner on the balcony before going to the hospital. Of course, I'd rather be with Braden and Steve than spend time outside, but it was nice to get a little nature. We found out some great news recently! Braden is going to have another cousin. Steve's sister and her husband are currently doing missionary work in Thailand. They just found out they are expecting their second child early next year. They have a son, Josiah, who will be 3 on April 16. Congratulations on the new member of their family and Happy Birthday to Josiah from across the world!

As you know, Steve and I celebrated our 1-year anniversary on Sunday. We had a nice, relaxing weekend. We spent a lot of time with Braden on Saturday and I had some alone time with Braden on Sunday. It was nice to talk to him and have him all to myself. Steve and I really have grown as a couple and as parents. We've been down some bumpy roads and we wish this journey on no one. But the journey has been humbling and seeing Steve with Braden warms my heart so much that it makes me cry. Braden has brought us closer together and even closer to our families and friends. We have so many people to thank and so many people to share our son with. So from a mom's heart, I say thank you! You have no idea how touching it is to know that other people -even strangers- are praying for your child. Steve and I have been receiving the most wonderful e-mails, gifts, gas money, phone messages and cards from all over the country. All this has made us realize the power of prayer and what a difference Braden has made in the world.

We ask that you continue to pray for Braden to keep fighting. It is by God's grace that he is able to win so many battles and continue to thrive. We also ask that you pray for his nurses and doctors who care for Braden because it is by their knowledge and healing hands that Braden will come home safely to us. We've attached some new photos to share with you. Thanks for stopping by. - Annie

Steve getting a close look at his "Mini-Me."


Look at this sweet angel face!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is so sweet! I love the picture from Saturday when you could see his face! What a beautiful child you two have! Think of what a miracle this is and that he is doing so well. I know it has been bumpy, but all will turn out well!! You are in my thoughts and prayers constantly!
:)
Amber Parks

The story of a micro preemie who is beating the odds.