Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Expressions

Last night, Annie and I went to the hospital. As Steve reported, Braden does have an infection that is being treated by antibiotics. They also detected a mild bacteria in his blood. Fortunately, the antibiotics that he is on will clear that up. Again, we wait to see how our little fighter will battle this one.

When we got to Braden's incubator last night, he was resting comfortably. I immediately noticed that the IV with that blue cast was removed from his left arm. I go so excited! As you know, I am overly-loud (which is definitely my worst quirk) and I praised Braden for doing such a great job. I was loud enough to wake him up and he was mad! He actually looked like he wanted to cry. His face scrunched up and I was just waiting to hear that loud wail come from him. But with all those tubes and cords, he cannot cry.

Seeing those expressions on his face did hurt. It's sad to see him want to cry; knowing that there is nothing we can do to comfort him. Since we can't touch him, we just press our hands against the glass and pray that somehow our thoughts will comfort him. But it was also somewhat of a blessing to see those expressions. He has basically been expressionless since birth, so in an odd way it was good to see that face.

Full term newborns who are minutes old can already make those facial expressions and let out those big, loud cries. It took Braden a few weeks to get to the stage of making facial expressions and I guess that's why we cherish them. And we are eager to hear him cry. I know that cherishing the sound of a baby crying seems unlikely, but in our case it will sound like the voice of an angel.

Thanks again to all who are praying for Braden. Just so you know, we are praying for you, too! We never forget those who love Braden and keep him in their thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Braden is as much a part of our day here in Memphis as he is there. Not only is he in our thoughts every day but I can't stop at Kinkos, the bank, or the photo shop without someone asking how he is doing. I have met so many people that were either premmies themselves or had one or know one. I feel like a minority having made it full term. It is so encouraging to hear all of the tales of premmie trials that have been very successful. It is an interesting feeling to be chatting with a woman in her early 30's holding her own baby telling me about her own premature birth. There she is grown up and starting a family of her own as well as being a career person - Wow! I haven't made it as far as planning Braden's life yet - - I am mainly looking forward to just holding him! O.K. I have dreamed of helping him make cookies at a slightly older age than just "holding" covers.
Love today from Gramy and Grandbob

The story of a micro preemie who is beating the odds.